Thursday, February 14, 2013

mopey or joyful?

You ever hear people who don't have a relationship with Jesus say things like: "why should I become a Christian? I don't see any difference in them than anyone else" or "if I decided to become a Christian I'll just have to follow a bunch of religious rules and be all mopey all the time, and i can't have any fun anymore." ?
These comments tend to irk me, not because of their statements but because the people that are Christians in their lives   haven't been setting a good example. We need to be showing them something different that is attractive not repelling them with religious stuff.
We need to be better about expressing the benefits of a deep relationship with Abba. He loves us, protects us, is interested in us and pays attention when we speak or are in need, He also gives us rest, peace and an incomprehedible joy. Don't you think that is what we should be showing the world instead of mopey religiousness?
Psalm 4 "ANSWER ME when I call, O God of my righteousness (uprightness, justice, and right standing with You)! You have freed me when I was hemmed in and enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me and hear my prayer. O you sons of men, how long will you turn my honor and glory into shame? How long will you love vanity and futility and seek after lies?  Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]! But know that the Lord has set apart for Himself [and given distinction to] him who is godly [the man of loving-kindness]. The Lord listens and heeds when I call to Him. Be angry [or stand in awe] and sin not; commune with your own hearts upon your beds and be silent (sorry for the things you say in your hearts).  Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]! Offer just and right sacrifices; trust  (lean on and be confident) in the Lord. Many say, Oh, that we might see some good! Lift up the light of Your countenance upon us, O Lord. You have put more joy and rejoicing in my heart than [they know] when their wheat and new wine have yielded abundantly. In peace I will both lie down and sleep, for You, Lord, alone make me dwell in safety and confident trust."

No comments:

Post a Comment