Thursday, February 28, 2013

persistence

You know sometimes in life I think we give up to quickly, especially when it comes to prayer. Our culture has become so much about "I want what I want and I want it now" that if we don't get it "now" then we blame Abba and say "oh it must not have been in God's will".  This attitude has even infected our church services, you know you have 3 songs, announcements, a message that better not go over 20 minutes or you will half the congregation looking at their watches complaining that it went over again. The reactions we used to get from folks when they found out our church services would last 5 hours on average, were kind of funny. But once they came they understood why. I guess there were some things we figured out kind of by accident, we found that sometimes sitting around a living room with a snack and other Abba loving folks is a great form of ministry His love flows and stuff just happens, it's ok to stop and back up to make sure everyone is ok or to have a teaching moment, that when we are praying for people that we need to not let time interfere with what the Holy Spirit is doing and in that sometimes persistence is the key (Jesus tells us to ask and keep asking, seek and keep seeking) these things take time and commitment.
We need to maintain our focus keep our eyes on Him, let Him know we are serious about being the overcomer's  that He has called us to be. That doesn't happen when we have a drive-thru, microwave mentality. It takes persistence and pursuit of what Abba lays before us.
Luke 18:1-8 "ALSO [Jesus] told them a parable to the effect that they ought always to pray and not to turn coward (faint, lose heart, and give up). He said, In a certain city there was a judge who neither reverenced and feared God nor respected or considered man. And there was a widow in that city who kept coming to him and  saying, Protect and defend and give me justice against my adversary. And for a time he would not; but later he said to himself, Though I have neither reverence or fear for God nor respect  or consideration for man, Yet because this widow continues to bother me, I will defend  and protect and avenge her, lest  she give me intolerable annoyance and wear me out by her continual coming or at the last she come and rail on me or assault me or strangle me. Then the Lord said, Listen to what the unjust judge says! And will not [our just] God defend and protect and avenge His elect (His chosen ones), who cry to Him day and night? Will He defer them and delay help on their behalf? I tell you, He will defend and protect  and avenge them speedily. However, when the Son of Man comes, will He find [persistence in] faith on the earth?"

No comments:

Post a Comment