Wednesday, January 2, 2013

John 3:16..... and 17

I think one of the first scriptures that I memorized when I was a new Christian was John 3:16, I think this is the case for many new believers.  But in my usual fashion I had to go beyond the borders of just verse 16, in case you haven't figured it out yet I have hard time staying in the box.  Anyways I looked beyond 16 into verse 17 and while I know verse 16 stands pretty well on its own when I read 17 it just kind of completed verse 16, like they should have never been separated. In fact for me separating the two became a major point of frustration to the point of becoming a pet peeve. Over the years there have been times when I have pondered the eternal  question "why would anyone want to separate them?" (ok maybe it isn't an eternal question but seemed important to me) So here are the various reasons I have come up with.
       1) they were too new to know any better, yet
       2) they weren't able to expand their horizons outside     of the box
       3) they limited themselves to only what they were taught, sometimes by people that didn't know they could expand on what they were taught
        4) they don't like teaching that Jesus didn't come to condemn because if they don't teach it or hear it, then they don't have to abide by it.
I guess that let one might be seen as a little harsh by some, but hey truth is truth, and the truth I believe is the truth that is in the Bible, it is not up to us to divide Scripture at our whim or to meet our purposes.  The Holy Spirit can rightly divide His word anyway He pleases but we cannot. As followers of Jesus it is our job to do what He did, to love people, to heal people, to show people His love and grace irregardless of their position or condition. So let's keep our eyes focused on what is important to Jesus calling out the treasures that Abba placed inside of others.
John 3:16-17 "For God so greatly loved and dearly prized the world that He [even] gave up His only begotten (unique) Son, so that whoever believes in (trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him shall not perish (come to destruction, be lost) but have eternal (everlasting) life. For God did not send the Son into the world in order to judge (to reject, to condemn, to pass sentence on) the world, but that the world might find salvation and be made safe and sound through Him."

No comments:

Post a Comment