Wednesday, July 17, 2013

who's in control

This is one of those mornings where I was reading "the scripture of the day", which for ne never ends up just being the one or two verses they give you, I like to read around the given verses to see what else is going on to provoke this to be written. As I was reading around the provided verse there was one in the middle that reached out and said "hello you need to look at me because I'm important". You see both verse 105 and 114 in this selection from psalm 119 are well known by most Christians, however tucked in between is verse 109 which says: "My life is continually in my hand, yet I do not forget Your law." notice he didn't say my life is in Your hand, but it is mine. Earlier I reposted a quote on Facebook that said that no where in the Bible does it say God is in control, this verse says that I am in control of myself. This does not mean that I do not fully rely on God for every aspect of my life or that He is not my source. What is saying is that I have a choice to make on daily even hourly basis on how I am going to live my life, will it be for Him or for what the world says I should do.  Paul tells us that one of the fruits of the Spirit is self control, when we allow ourselves to be led and guided by the Holy Spirit we are taking positive control of our lives...  So who is in control? It's your choice.

Psalm 119:105-114 "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. I have sworn [an oath] and have confirmed it, that I will keep Your righteous ordinances [hearing, receiving, loving, and obeying them]. I am sorely afflicted; renew and quicken me [give me life], O Lord, according to Your word! Accept, I beseech You, the freewill offerings of my mouth, O Lord, and teach me Your ordinances. My life is continually in my hand, yet I do not forget Your law. The wicked have laid a snare for me, yet I do not stray from Your precepts. Your testimonies have I taken as a heritage forever, for they are the rejoicing of my heart. I have inclined my heart to perform Your statutes forever,  even to the end. I hate the thoughts of undecided [in religion], double-minded people, but Your law do I love. You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in Your word."

No comments:

Post a Comment